- Departments R - Z
- Stormwater Management
- Development Guide
Development in Garland is regulated in order to promote the health, safety, and welfare of current and future citizens. Over the years, regulation and processes have been developed to establish rules for development and the manner in which they are applied.
Every Project Must:
- Be Inspected during Construction
- Be on a properly Platted lot
- Have a valid Site Permit and/or Building Permit
- Have the proper Zoning for the intended use
- Receive a Certificate of Occupancy
The path that your development will need to follow will depend on how many of these elements are already in place. In order to determine what that path will be, the City has established a Mandatory Pre-Submittal Meeting. This meeting occurs prior to the submittal of any development plans to the city. The purpose of this meeting is to determine what steps you will go through and to provide you with information necessary to successfully complete each step. Pre-development meetings are held twice a week on a first come first served basis, so it should not take long to determine where you need to start and what path to follow.
The Development Guide (PDF) has been published to help you know what you can expect during Garland’s development process. Each section explains how the process works, includes a flow chart and answers some commonly asked questions.
- When viewing the Development Guide, note that in order to view the Bookmark Screen and keep it open, you must ensure that the 'Hide Afer Use' field is not check marked under the 'Bookmark' drop-down menu.